Monday, July 31, 2017

Check your goo


Before starting work on this kit, what I really should have done is worked out how the parts so far assembled had been fixed together. Looking inside the roof, you might think solder.

You would be wrong.

Judging by the quality of the solder work, the owner thought, "Stuff this. I'll use glue."

In theory, this kit can be assembled with glue. It's not a good idea though as the joints aren't that strong. I know this because a couple of times the sides have parted from the floor.

And I know glue is involved because when I solder the joint, it releases a plume of heated cyoacronite which is very bad for you.

Be warned, the correct thing to do is to dump the model in stripper or nail varnish remover and reduce it to parts, then solder. As it is, I'm nearly past the soldering stage so I'm not going to bother, but maybe I'll remember next time. 

No comments: