Thursday, June 08, 2023

Paint

 

A thin coat of primer followed by a spray of Humbrol 64 did for the main livery on the Midland van. I'm sure someone is going to tell me that this isn't exactly the right shade of grey, but it looks pretty close to the photos on the Slater's website, and that will do. Old paints faded quite quickly in service anyway, and I have a feeling that long term this is going to be lightly weathered, so the exact colour isn't that important. 

All the ironwork under the solebar, but not on the solebar it seems, is black. A couple of hours poking a small brush around, loaded with Revell 9 (Anthracite) has sorted this. 

All that is left to do is remove the paint from the whee trads and flanges, and it will be time for transfers. I'm getting there!

1 comment:

Paul B. said...

From what I remember there isn't a right shade of Midland grey (if you are finishing it in MR livery) as the Midland bought a load of grey paint left over from painting battleships and mixed it into their own stocks (or something like that, the relevant book is in the loft). I believe the resulting livery was called smudge and varied widely.