Friday, June 23, 2023

This boat won't float

I've been pretty good about not adding to the model boat kit collection  recently. Despite being very, very tempted at the club open day, I managed to leave with two less boats that I arrived with, thanks to the "Bring and Buy" stand. 

However, on a visit to the Cheltenham Model Centre, I was taken by this diecast stern-wheeler from Corgi for a couple of quid. It's a bit odd, I mean why make a non-floating boat? 


The boat can be played with in the same way as a toy car - it runs on a roller, and band around the paddle wheel. Clever really. 

A little digging online reveals some answers, thanks to Mike Pigott's article here. This small range was produced in the 1980s, when hardly anyone would remember what a cowboy film was. Even then, this is a oddball in a range of horse powered vehicles. 

It's still fun though.

 

2 comments:

James H said...

I remember this range, but never had or was aware of the paddle steamer. In the linked article, he mentions sets with a saloon and station were very rare, well I had one! I used it on my Hornby trainset carpet layout for a while too!

Luke Stevens said...

I look forward to your article on detailing & repaintig. And then they layout plan to go with it!

You know you want to!