Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Warehouse Wednesday: Horsted Keynes huts

Bluebell railway huts

A recent work trip that took me past the Bluebell Railway left me with enough time to drop in to Horsted Keynes for a quick look. The work replacing the station canopy is amazing, but I was just as taken with this collection of concete huts byy the entrance.

Bluebell railway huts

For a Southern themed line, a couple of classic SR plateleyers huts, the ones shaped to clear the loading gauge when on the back of a wagon, are no surprise. I wonder if the square one is also SR, or an interloper? 

Whatever, they looked great in the sunshine, and it's nice to see them still in use.

Bluebell railway huts

1 comment:

Simon Hargraves said...

They're both SR as far as I know...the smaller square tool hut didn't need to be shaped like the platelayer's hut as it's narrow enough to be within loading gauge.
Pretty much essential for a SR-themed layout, although I don't think they became ubiquitous until after WWII. Even now, there are still remains of wooden PW huts on the region as well...