Sunday, June 18, 2023

Stratford & District Model Railway Club

 

I'm always keen to visit model railway clubs. Knowing how much good being a member of the L&WMRS has ben for me, I'm an advocate for club membership. Online there's always the "I went one and didn't like it" response, but my attitude is that there is a club for everyone, but not every club suits everyone. That, and expecting the club to mould itself around someone who has just walked in the door is unrealistic. 

Anyway, a sunny morning saw me find (it's in the wilds) Stratford MRC. The first surprise was to meet 2 or 3 people who had been down to Leamingon, but didn't feel it fitted them. However, the different feel of Stratford worked well - see what I mean? 

Stratford are based upstairs in a farm building, and they have nearly as many layouts as members. N, OO and O, plus some G scale outside. 

The main OO has an interesting dumbell plan which allows a very long run, but with no crawling under baseboards! The design owes a lot fo US practice, and works well. The ends have given them plenty of space for scenic details too. 

I was certainly made to feel very welcome, as were the others who visited on this open day. It's a freindly club that is in use pretty much every day with members progressing projects. 

If you are in the area, check them out: Stratford MRC website#

Question: What make is the loco at the top of this post? I'm thinking Centre Models as it's whitemetal kit with a chassis very similar to theirs, but no-one seemed to know.

2 comments:

James Finister said...

I think Stephen Poole did a kit. If my memory serves me right the Peco O-16.5 GVT loco began life as one his kits

Anonymous said...

Depending how old this loco is, I think K's (N & KC Keyser) may also have made a kit but that would make it date from 50s - 60s.