Friday, April 27, 2018

Great British Train Show


All being well, tomorrow I'll be taking part in this show. I say this, because the journey will be a bit longer than normal - 3700 miles to be precise. All the way to Canada.

Some of you may remember a challenge issued by Rapido Trains for someone (me) at BRM to build a layout to take to the show. Since the model has to travel by 'plane, Didsbury Green was born. A layout that fits in a box makes a lot of sense - I hope!

Packed carefully, the model was entrusted to Canada Airways.


On the 'phone they had said that a well-labelled box should be OK in transit in the hold. My suggestion to the press office that we should have it in the cabin for "the world's highest altitude model railway show" being ignored.

Sadly, things went awry. Something punched a hole in the strong, plastic box.


Whatever it was, knocked the engine shed off and snapped the plastic pole in fixing the water crane in position.


 Luckily, pretty much all survived in one piece, so a few buys from the dollar store and a lucky find of Woodland Scenics trees and flock in a craft store have allowed me to fix everything. I've even had a loco running!


So, please come along and say hello. Enter the raffle and you could even win the layout! Well, letting it back on an aeroplane doesn't seem that smart now...

2 comments:

Andy said...

Wow! That's a long way to go for a show - I thought I got around! Hope it makes it back more safely than the outward journey. Look forward to seeing a show report.

Christopher said...

The layout may have had a fortunate escape! It looks as though it went through general baggage-handling despite the "Fragile" labelling... I can understand your doubt about the wisdom of attempting to bring it back.

Have a great time in Canada -- I'm sure you'll be made very welcome. :-)