Thursday, November 22, 2018

Glazed cabin


Modern boat designs tend to need large areas of glazing. Providing the operator with the best field of vision properly is essential so no more peering out of tiny windows!

 My material of choice is some thick clear plastic from Bayer, which I now can't find to provide proper details. It comes with peel-off pale blue plastic coating if that helps you identify it.

Cutting is no problem. It's a bit more brittle than plastic sheet, but both Olfa cutters and knives will do the job. It snaps a bit like plastic too.

Glue is the challenge. Even Superweld wouldn't stick it. The only stuff I had handy that did anything was Revell Contacta plastic cement. The joints are OK, and it is easy to control, but I'd like something more solid. Please note: Superglue is not an option, I don't want foggy windows as the fumes find fingerprint grease!

Framing from black plastic finishes the job. I'll paint it but don't want to do the fiddly edges, hence the colour. 

3 comments:

Huw Griffiths said...

Interesting point about "super glue" fumes - I believe that the stuff has sometimes been used to "develop" fingerprints - however …

If I were working with similar plastic - and the model roof were removable - I personally might have been tempted to persist with the cyano adhesive.

The key to this apparent madness is the plastic protective film - and leaving it in place until after the adhesive has fully cured. It might be necessary to trim certain edges of certain surfaces (or even replace some of it with (preferably) low tack Scotch tape or airbrush masking film.

That's right - I'd have been tempted to use the stuff like masking film.

Clearly, I can't give any guarantees - but this is one experiment I would probably have tried … .

Colin said...

Have you tried getting clear acrylic from 4D Modelshop? http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop They supply professional modelmakers and I recall are much cheaper than hobby suppliers.

Colin said...

Have you tried getting clear acrylic from 4D Modelshop? http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop They supply professional modelmakers and I recall are much cheaper than hobby suppliers.