Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Warehouse Wednesday: The building vanishes


This isn't the first time, this building has appeared on the blog. Back in 2016, I showed an old tin shed that was on my route to school every day. It was a fixture in my life for decades.

Now, it's gone.

All that is left is the concrete base.


I'm sorry to see the building has gone, but the slab leftover is a very modelable feature that I don't think I've ever seen on a model railway layout.

In 4mm scale, some card painted mottled concrete colours (try the Pheonix range) and a bit of talc for texture would do the job. In larger scales, you probably want to consider the lines where long lengths of wood have been used to pat the wet mix dry. On that basis, casting the slab in plaster would be a better bet.

It's strange, but this prototype really appeals to me and I'm wondering where I can give it a go.

1 comment:

James Finister said...

At the time of your 2016 post I commented that I was aiming to build a replica tin shed at some point in 1:1 scale. I have at least given our faux station building a corrugated roof, using the readily available corrugated bitumen sheets