Friday, November 30, 2018

Grinding Machime


A few months ago, I bunged a "U Star Grinding Machime" (sic) into a larger order from Hobbyking. It only cost £3.77 at the time so I was curious to see how good such a cheap tool could be.

Well, after exhaustive testing, I've come to the conclusion that it's rubbish.

Pros: Cheap. Powered by easily available batteries. Fits nicely in the hand.

Cons: Grinders need grunt. This one is utterly devoid of this.

I guess the push in tools should give this away. There's nothing to stop them from rotating in the hidden chuck. For the sake of it, I tried to grind away a bit of plastic. The tool stalled. I tried with hardly any pressure. The tool stalled.

Basically, this would be fine powering a fan, but for work, buy a Dremel or something proper.

I suppose the tools were nearly worth the price of the whole lot. Another lesson learned. 

6 comments:

James Finister said...

AKA as nail buffers, intended for manicures, not modellers

Rob Nesbitt said...

Should work OK as a paint stirrer. The old adage - you get what you pay for holds true

Phil Parker said...

Can't disagree. For the price I was curious enough.

Now, excuse me while I buff my nails... :-)

BaptistTed said...

We had a nice nail buffing kit come into the Salvation Army charity shop that I volunteer in, but because it was personal grooming, it was going to be dumped. I salvaged it with the very same purpose in mind, and unfortunately got exactly the same result, but on the plus side it cost me nothing.

BaptistTed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BaptistTed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.