Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Plastic noodling


With a mockup I'm happy with, the next job on the tug was to reproduce this in plastic. It's the bit of the job I really enjoy, messing around with bits of plastic sheet. The work is pretty simple - cut, stick, cut, stick - and the model grows quickly in front of your eyes.

I like to do this while half-watching something on TV. I'm not very good at properly watching telly, my finger itch to do something, but it's demanding enough to entertain me but not so much I can ideally cast my eye to the screen occasionally. Like listening to music while working, the trick is to watch something you know well, or at least don't care that much about.


To achieve nice smooth joints, I'm trying out Liquid Green Stuff from Games Workshop. It's an interesting product, a bit thinner than toothpaste, that you are supposed to brush on to wargaming figures. I didn't know this and scraped it on any joins that looked like they needed help using an old scalpel blade.

I suspected the filler would shrink when it dried so I put a bit more on to allow for this. Once dry - I left it overnight - it sanded back very nicely. I'll get a better idea when the model is painted, but first impressions are good. Not sure it will replace Perfect Plastic Putty as my favourite filler, but I can see it being something I reach for again. Not least, because it's easier to get out of the Games Workshop pot than anything in a tube!



No comments: