Friday, November 06, 2015
Yellow lines part 1 - :-(
The prototype Bantam's striking livery was one of the features that attracted me to it originally. However, now the chickens are coming home to roost and it's time for me to see if I can match the design on the model.
After much messing around, I decided to paint the red and green slabs of colour and apply yellow tape for the separating line. Truth is, I couldn't work out a way to mask this properly and even if I did, my lack of skills in the area means the body colours would seep into it anyway.
Anyway, I sprayed the red, then the green. First attempts at hand painting this were thwarted by dodgy Humbrol quality control - green very thin, red, porridge thickness. Spraying sorted this out and while the finish isn't prefect, I can live with it.
I've used a lot of yellow tape in the past and been very pleased with the results. The straight lines were easy and looked good. Those curves though - well even pulling the tape so it stretches to get it around the corner and slitting any puckers, still left it looking lumpy. The curves on the side are especially tight and even when the tape was down, the curves looked horrible.
So, off it all came.