Friday, January 15, 2016

Prototype for everything: Giant Wills arch kits


 
If you look behind the arches on Ruston Quays, you can see that what we have is some fairly thin plastic parts hiding a wooden substructure. It's how we tend to build model railways, a facade hiding the ugly truth.
 
Not very realistic?
 
Well have a look at this picture of work taking place around London Bridge station shared on Twitter by Tim Dunn. Those are basically full-sized Wills plastic kits they are putting up aren't they?
 
 

2 comments:

Nick Brad said...

I guess this just reinforces the point that there's a prototype for everything ;)

Huw Griffiths said...

I sometimes wonder about certain modern "retro" buildings.

After all, they can hardly pretend to be preserving heritage buildings - or even an old façade - or can they?

For some reason, this reminds me of some retro themed pubs - complete with fibreglass "ship's timber" beams - fitted by glue gun, to fibreboard ceilings in the middle of some 70's skyscrapers. OK - it's possible that I might be exaggerating slightly - but I think you knoe the sort of thing I'm talking about.

Saying that, I'd much prefer them to build something looking like this, instead of yet another of those misshapen brutalist monstrosities.