Friday, November 17, 2017

Can't find what you want? Try this.

Nigel asks:

I have been a regular reader of "Phil’s workbench" for a number of years and always enjoy your varied topics covered, relaxed writing style and give it ago attitude. Making the majority of modelling subjects sound easy. I have recently started modelling a narrow gauge 009 layout, which I am enjoying immensely.

My question is - Your blog contains a wealth of information. Is there an easy way that one can search a particular subject?

Good question. According to Blogger, this is post number 4215, quite a lot to dig through.

Fortunately, there are tools to help. For the purposes of this post, I'm assuming you are using the desktop version of the site. Mobile is similar but different and if you are using voice control because you live in the future, you're on your own.

 

First, scroll down the page and look at the right hand side. There is a list of Labels categorising the posts. Just click on the topic and all the posts relating to is will be brought up.

Some posts appear in more then one category and because it relies on me tagging each one properly, some that should appear might not. I do try to be consistent, but like most humans, I'm a bit rubbish at it sometimes.

Those Labels also appear at the bottom of each post too.


Again, click on the link to bring up all the posts on that topic. The same caveats apply, but I try to be consistent within a project so at least you should find all the entries for that.

If the Labels don't help, there is a search box on the top left of this page.


I use this a lot, mainly to find out when I wrote a particular magazine article when someone asks me. A sensible person would keep a separate list but I just mention publication on the blog so the search can find it.

If this search isn't enough, then you can also force Google to narrow its searching to a specific website.

Just enter site: then the address of the site to be searched, philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk in this case, a space and then the terms to search for.

Hopefully this helps. I've put a lot of content up on this blog, so anything I can do to help people find it is worth a go. Well, apart from re-categorising every post!

No comments: