Friday, May 29, 2020

Playmobil diesel

Playmobil diesel front

The latest addition to the Parker garden railway fleet is this Playmobil diesel from the 4024 freight train set where it's accompanied by a tank wagon and flat wagon.

Based on the standard LGB-derived motor block, it's an incredibly smooth runner. Despite being turned into a toy, the design looks really good too. Replace the handrails, refine the window surrounds and add some dirt, it could pass for a far more scale model.

Palymobil diesel rear


I wondered if there was a resource listing all the Playmobil trains, and it turns out there is.

Walts Playmobil Collection lists the full range along with photos. I know I should want more scale, but the PW machine with a grab on the back, would be rather nice...

3 comments:

Huw Griffiths said...

I hope you don't mind me asking - is the cab removable / able to be turned around on this model?

In case this sounds like a daft question, the model reminds me slightly of a Schöma Tm2/2, like Roco and Fama apparently used to offer in Om gauge.

To me, the biggest difference looks to be the cab, which is fitted the other way round.

However, whatever the real prototype (if there ever was one), this Kleinlok does look rather attractive.

In case you're wondering why I mentioned the Schöma design, a while back, someone converted one of the Om gauge bodies to Or, by fitting it to a somewhat mangled Bachmann OO "kettle" chassis - and put a write-up on the internet.

Since I saw this, I've wondered about building my own version, albeit with a homebrew body - so I've been on the lookout for decent drawings on the internet.


Whilst I think of it, I could also add that I'm surprised that I've never come across a "garden railway" model of any of the small petrol inspection railcars the NER / LNER ran between the wars (especially the ones with domed clerestory roofs and radiators above the cabs).

OK - it's not my call - and I don't know the size of any potential RTR market - but a complete train about a foot or so long would probably fit on a lot of "lines".

Also, given a suitable motor / gears / wheels block, something similar to this probably wouldn't be very difficult to build from thin ply or PVC foam, in a large scale.

Whether anybody would choose to is another matter.

Fairywood Light Railway said...

Would this run on 32mm gauge track, if not could it be converted easy enough.

Phil Parker said...

Converting to 32mm would be tricky. Replacing the chassis would be the easiest way.