Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Warehouse Wednesday - Derby's back alleys

Derby

Scanned in from an old photo, I've identified the location by the name of the boxing academy.

This is the sort of scruffy back street scene I'd love to model properly. The buildings are old and have been modified several times. Whatever they started life as isn't what they are now.

I'm assuming that painted brickwork is an attempt to tidy up the factory(?) area or perhaps to improve visibility for drivers. The cutaway corner seen on the right hand building shows this was always meant to be a high-traffic area for vehicles.

Towards the back we have a cable and pipe bridge beautifully constructed in steel girders.

Once upon a time, I'd guess this was the working environment for hundred if not thousands of men. They would probably wonder at me finding it so interesting.

No comments: