Friday, April 15, 2016

Tumbledown barn


While I ponder the joys of soldering GWR railcar bits together, I need a simple project to play around with. Sometimes at the end of the day, I just don't fancy wielding a hot iron and trying to figure out  how to bring the various bits together. Modelling should be relaxing after all.

A project I've had knocking around for some time is a tumbledown barn from Skytrex models. Ever since I saw this casting, I've wanted to slap a coat of paint on it. More recenty, I've been sent some moss kits that I'd like to try properly on it.

Anyway, it's a single piece, so the first job is to open out the resin film left in the windows. 


A sharp knife works better than a file with the added benfit of not releasing the dust that is do bad to breath in. After this, a scrub in the sink and it's off to paint...

2 comments:

Mr Taylor Anthony said...

How about a skeletal roof? Maybe some corrugated iron left. I saw on you tube an American technique using kitchen foil rubbed into a pattern producing scale thickness bendable material. I tried it on some wills sheeting and it looks good, now to find something to try it on.

Phil Parker said...

I use tinfoil rubbed on an old Wills corrugated iron roof to do the same thing. The idea of a skeletal roof appeals, but not on this building. It has given me more ideas for a future project though.