Sunday, July 31, 2016

10000

10000

I'm pretty sure I've show John Webb's wooden model of ex-LMS 10000 before. However, sorting through a pile of magazines, I find a copy of Hobbies Weekly from December 24th, 1952. As you can see, the same loco is on the cover. 


Inside, we have some instructions for assembling the locomotive and even and advert for a kit, costing 5/10 including tax. 

If you didn't want to shell out that sort of money (was this a lot back then?) of course, you could do it yourself, as a separate plan is included. 


Most of the part are cut from wood, apart from the roof (postcard) and cab windows (celluloid). Details are limited but the article suggests that household pins without heads could be used for the uprights for the steps, card being used for the treads of wire and more pins "if the worker is not afraid of a soldering iron".

I find all this fascinating and a real look into the past of our hobby. Can you imagine the face of one of today's keyboard warriors when faced with something like this? "I have to make it myself?! Out of wood?!"


3 comments:

Andy in Germany said...

They'd then go online and criticize every single built model they could find...

Springbok Properties said...

great post really good!

Jeffrey Showell said...

"Can you imagine the face of one of today's keyboard warriors when faced with something like this? "I have to make it myself?! Out of wood?!""
When do you start?